“Hold that order! And cancel the check!” A customer recently learned of a rebate program in his state for capital improvements that decreased energy consumption, which the equipment he had ordered from Biomass Engineering & Equipment achieved. The rebate would pay up to 75 percent of the project cost. To qualify, however, he couldn’t have already paid anything toward the project, which he had just done.
Fortunately, we were able to reallocate the payment to another project. Other customers may not have been so lucky. Once our engineers begin modeling and we order parts, we can’t reallocate funds as we did in the situation we noted above.
But this article isn’t about accounting. It’s about that rebate our customer discovered. Such programs are common across the United States because utilities want to limit their capital costs: more energy demand means more substations they must build, more transmission lines they must maintain, and more pollution they must account for. By paying customers to limit their energy consumption, the utility saves money in the long run.
Utilities aren’t the only entities that offer incentives on energy-saving investments. States and federal loan programs do the same. The qualifications for these programs vary widely, as do their limits and availability across the country, but in general, they’re available for new or upgraded technologies that increase energy efficiency or utilize renewable energy sources, such as biomass. As our customer found out, these programs can potentially save you thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars—not to mention savings on your future energy bills.
Below is a sample of programs available through the U.S. These offer incentives for efficient production machinery, motors, and bioenergy systems that result in lower energy consumption. Many other programs are available. Visit the Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency (DSIRE®) to find a program in your area. Check with your CPA for information on additional programs, too.
We will not update this list after publishing it. Visit the DSIRE® website for an accurate listing.
As for the systems you’ll need to qualify for this program, know that BE&E offers the most efficient drag chain conveyors on the market. Our conveyors are up to 25 times more efficient than pneumatic systems. We also provide turn-key project management for biomass boilers and biomass CHP (combined heat and power).
Contact us to discuss your project today!
Industrial Efficiency Programs
PACE programs offer low-interest rate loans at the local or state level.
Available in: Alabama; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Illinois, Kentucky; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Missouri, Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Rhode Island; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Wisconsin; Washington, D.C.; Wyoming
- Business Energy Investment Tax Credit (ITC)
- USDA – Biorefinery, Renewable Chemical, and Biobased Product Manufacturing Assistance Program
- USDA – Repowering Assistance Biorefinery Program
- Entergy Arkansas – Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency Programs
- OGE – Commercial Energy Efficiency Rebate Programs
- Anaheim Public Utilities – Commercial & Industrial New Construction Rebate Program
- Anaheim Public Utilities – Commercial Energy Efficiency Rebate Programs
- Public Benefits Funds for Renewables and Efficiency
- SDG&E – Energy Efficiency Business Rebates
- SCE – Non-Residential Energy Efficiency Programs
- SMUD – Commercial Energy Efficiency Loan Program
- Efficiency Works – Business Energy Efficiency Rebate Program (Offered by 4 Utilities)
- Holy Cross Energy – Renewable Energy Rebate Program
- EZ Investment Tax Credit Refund for Renewable Energy Projects
- C-PACE: Colorado Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy
- Florida Power and Light – Business Energy Efficiency Rebates
- JEA – Commercial Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- Community Conservation Challenge
- Duke Energy – Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- Indianapolis Power & Light – Business Energy Incentives Program
IADG Energy Bank Revolving Loan Program
- AEP (SWEPCO)- Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency Program
- Entergy New Orleans – Small and Large Commercial and Industrial Solutions Program
- Cape Light Compact – Commercial Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- MassSAVE (Electric) – Commercial New Construction/Major Renovation Program
- Michigan Local PACE Program
- Lean and Green Michigan PACE
- Energy Optimization (Electric) – Commercial Efficiency Program
- DTE Energy (Electric) – Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency Program
- Consumers Energy (Electric) – Commercial Energy Efficiency Program
- Austin Utilities (Gas and Electric) – Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- Otter Tail Power Company – Commercial & Industrial Energy Efficiency Grant Program
- Dakota Electric Association – Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- Rochester Public Utilities – Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- Waseca Utilities – Commercial & Industrial Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- Wells Public Utilities – Commercial & Industrial Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- Clean Energy Fund (CEF)
- ConEd (Electric) – Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency Program
- Industrial and Process Efficiency Performance Incentives
- Energy Conversion and Thermal Efficiency Sales Tax Exemption
- Energy Loan Fund (ELF)
- Duke Energy (Electric) – Commercial/Industrial Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- Air-Quality Improvement Tax Incentives
- Energy Trust of Oregon
- McMinnville Water & Light – Commercial Energy Efficiency Rebate Programs
- Idaho Power – Commercial Custom Efficiency Program
- Energy Conservation Tax Credits – Competitively-Selected Projects (Personal)
- Energy Conservation Tax Credits – Competitively-Selected Projects (Corporate)
- Xcel Energy – Commercial and Industrial Standard Offer Program
- Oncor Electric Delivery – Commercial and Industrial Rebate Program
- City of Milwaukee – ME3: Milwaukee Sustainable Manufacturing Program
- River Falls Municipal Utilities – Business Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- Large Energy Users Program
- Business Incentive Program
- Benton PUD – Commercial, Industrial, and Agricultural Energy Efficiency Rebate Programs
- Grays Harbor PUD – Non-Residential Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- Lewis County PUD – Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- Mason County PUD 3 – Commercial and Industrial Energy Rebates
- Puget Sound Energy – Energy Efficiency Custom Retrofit Grant Program
- Tacoma Power – Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency Rebate Programs